The International Women’s Day organizing committee brought advocacy and celebration online this year in a special podcast series featuring five exceptional women and gender-diverse people sharing their perspectives and experiences of “choosing to challenge.”
You can listen to the podcasts here or find them on your favourite podcast app.
Each person was interviewed by another inspiring member of the community, celebrating Island leaders who are contributing their passion, skills, experiences, and choices to advancing gender equality.
Find out more about each episode and the women and gender diverse people featured:
- EPISODE 1: Sweta Daboo in conversation with Malak Nassar
- EPISODE 2: Julie Bull in conversation with Debbie Langston
- EPISODE 3: Marie Burge in conversation with Josie Baker
- EPISODE 4: Marie Antoinette Pangan in conversation with Farahnaz Rezaei
- ÉPISODE 5: Michelle Arsenault, interviewée par Marine Ernoult
“Choosing to Challenge” is especially relevant when we reflect back on this year of challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the inequalities that the pandemic and our responses to it have exposed. Many of the most glaring challenges worldwide have the greatest impact on women, girls and gender diverse people. We continue to challenge for the rights to safety, choice, participation in decision-making, and access to substantive equality for everyone, everywhere.
IWD Video Banner
Direct link to video: https://vimeo.com/520564718
Prince Edward Island people sent in their greetings for International Women’s Day and spoke about the ways they #choosetochallenge on IWD March 8, 2021, and every day. Thanks to IWD PEI organizers and sponsors and all video contributors.
Video produced by the PEI Advisory Council on the Status of Women, March 2021.
Music: “Lunassa” by Aislinn is licensed under an Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 International License.
IWD PEI Related Links:
- Women Are Superheroes! International Women’s Day 2021 / Les femmes, ces superhéroïnes : Journée internationale des femmes 2021 and in The Guardian, March 8, 2021 by Debbie Langston, Chairperson
- Podcasts bring P.E.I. residents together for International Women’s Day in spite of pandemic – March 8, 2021, The Guardian
- Choose to Challenge podcast marks International Women’s Day on P.E.I. – March 8, 2021, CBC PEI
Minister Responsible for the Status of Women, Natalie Jameson and Chairperson Debbie Langston share their IWD message:
Monday, March 8 is International Women’s Day.
Women’s contributions – past and present – have often been behind the scenes or even invisible. Not this year.
We invite you to recognize the women who have made a difference in your life by taking part in our social media campaign. Post on your own pages and shine a light on the women who have done so much for us and our community.
Use hashtag #IWDPEI in your posts so we can all share in the recognition.
(Source: PEI Government YouTube channel)
A big thank you to everyone who helped create the podcasts and video banner for International Women’s Day 2021! So many women worked together with passion and commitment to bring online the IWD celebration of “Choosing to Challenge.”
Heartfelt appreciation to:
- Union of Public Sector Employees
- Public Service Alliance of Canada
- Canadian Union of Public Employees
- PEI Federation of Labour
- PEI government
Allies and Partners
- Women’s Network PEI
- Cooper Institute
- Actions Femmes I.P.É
- Voluntary Resource Centre
- Coalition for Women in Government
- PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada
- Interministerial Women’s Secretariat
IWD Organizing Committee
- Ainsley Kendrick
- Becky Mullen
- Farahnaz Rezaei
- Donna Dingwell
- Michelle Jay
- Sweta Daboo and Malak Nassar
- Julie Bull and Debbie Langston
- Marie Burge and Josie Baker
- Marie Antoinette Pangan and Farahnaz Rezaei
- Michelle Arsenault and Marine Ernoult
And thank you to Council members of the Status of Women, especially Chairperson Debbie Langston for her leadership and participation, and to staff of the Council, Jane and Becky and Michelle.
To all the women who challenge the status quo, and challenge themselves to be better, let us lift one another up and amplify our voices together!